Friday 25 November 2016

Mid Term Evaluation

As a whole, my aim for this project was to capture the culture of youth through documentary style photography. I wanted to focus on the more everyday/ordinary side of youth as opposed to the dark or negative stereotypes associated with young culture. After following this concept for my first shoot, I decided to explore using the studio for my project as I did not want to completely cancel this option out. This allowed me to try other options before definitively deciding on location documentary.

My most successful shoot so far has been my first shoot as it is the one that follows my original concept the closest. This shoot was conducted in my friends bedroom as I sat with two of my friends. They were both drinking alcohol and so it does follow negative stereotypes of youth, however it was done in a relaxed and calm setting with just two people, and so it does not exaggerate this stereotype by any means. This shoot links well the work of Bruce Davidson as it follows the night of two girls, similar to how he followed the lives of the Brooklyn gang. The reason I feel this shoot is so successful is because the two girls were completely natural in front of the camera, which meant that I was able to get completely candid images - which was the outcome I was looking for from this shoot.

With my studio shoots, I enjoyed the outcome as pictures in general, however I did not feel that they worked well as a part of my project as they were not the style of images I ultimately want to take. Even though they were in the studio and shoots three and four feature only objects, I still feel that this documents youth culture today as it helps to show their style and interests. However, I prefer the overall look of the images from the first shoot and they are the style of images that I first planned to take (as mentioned in my project proposal), and so from here on I will be only conducting documentary shoots and my subjects will be entirely young people.


No comments:

Post a Comment